A total of 70 members of the House of Representatives of the Philippines voted against ABS-CBN Corporation’s application for a 25-year license. Among them, eight are from Visayas.
On July 10, 2020, a total of 85 panel members were present to cast their votes whether or not to allow ABS-CBN to renew its franchise. Out of the 85 panel members, 46 were regular members while 36 were ex-officio members who either were physically present or attended virtually via the Zoom app.
Chaired by Palawan representative Franz Alvarez, the Philippines’ House Committee on Legislative Franchises needed 43 votes to get the majority to deny the franchise application ABS-CBN to construct, install, establish, operate and maintain radio and broadcasting stations in the Philippines. Here are the 35 Visayas congressmen who voted against the television network’s franchise renewal:
- Cebu 1st District’s Eduardo Gullas
- Cebu 3rd District’s Pablo John Garcia
- Iloilo City’s Julienne Baronda
- Iloilo 1st District’s Janette Garin
- Leyte 1st District’s Ferdinand Martin Romualdez
- Negros Oriental 3rd District’s Arnolfo Teves, Jr.
- Samar 2nd District’s Sharee Ann Tan
- Southern Leyte’s Roger G. Mercado
Check the complete list on Conan Daily.